How to Boost Mood: By nature, I’m the kind of happy and chill person who deals with every situation in a positive way and considers incidents and mistakes as learning. But sometimes, staying positive and upbeat feels like an uphill battle. It happens with almost everyone, shitty days happen and bad moods can creep up out of nowhere. Some days, it can be because of a stressful day at work, a fight with the best friend, or just anything.
Whatever the reason is, there are many easy ways that can change our mood immediately. In this post, I’m going to share some of the techniques I do to boost my mood. You may already be following some of these ways and also you certainly don’t need to do all of them. Try a few of them that you find good and are easiest for you.
Everybody is different, and everybody follows different techniques to deal with pain, but these are some of the best ways to boost mood when you start feeling yourselves getting down.
If you are not feeling well because of period check our post on How to Handle Mood Swings During Period
30 Ways to Feel Better
- A lot Laugh: Whenever you feel low, watch a funny movie or show you will start feeling good in sometimes. Also, talk to smoothing who has a good sense of humour. Laughing releases tension and it holds a natural ability to heal.
- Coffee or caffeinated tea: Another effective solution on how to boost mood, caffeine. It has been found that caffeine brings positive effects on mood when you feel low. Just one cup is enough. Don’t take caffeine more than once or twice in a day.
- Write: Writing is the first thing I do when I feel bad and I suggest the same when someone asks me how to boost mood. Writing is something that helps you think and feel.
- Talk to a stranger: When you feel low, talk to a stranger. Talking to someone whom you don’t know gives an amazing feeling. Also, social engagement helps you make yourself feel lighter.
- Cry: It may sound strange but crying makes you stronger as it releases pain. If you are like me and don’t like crying in front of people, slink away and cry alone. You will feel better afterwards.
- Dance like crazy: Dance like a crazy on your favourite DJ songs. Dance does not only change your mood instantly but it makes you feel happier. So move your way into a better mood.
- Listen to Music: Music holds an amazing and powerful effect on mood. Make a playlist of songs that always make you want to tap your toes or sing along, and turn it on whenever you need a hit of happiness.
- Go for a walk: Walking has always helped me release headaches and shed negative energy. If you are looking at how to boost mood, it can work great, go for a walk at a scenic location for better results.
- Drink Something Healthy: I don’t know the actual reason, but I have found that mango juice or orange juice always puts me in a better mood. Give it a try and drink something healthy, it will make you feel revitalized and serene.
- Hug someone: Trust me this is one of the effective ways when you are looking for how to boost mood. Hugs are such an easy way to express love and care without having to say a word and it gives you an instant power to change your mood.
- Rest, Rest: Sometimes we do not feel good because of a lot of work and responsibilities. Here we just need to recharge our mind and body. In such situations, I always take some rest from a small nap to a few hours deep. Try this, you will feel better after getting some rest.
- Plan a fun activity: Staying in the same situation and thinking about the problem can never help you better. Plan something fun to do so you will feel better. It can be anything from just creating a picture to planning a trip.
- Prioritize: Whenever I feel low and need some motivation and want to ask How to Boost Mood, I try to focus on my priorities. Whenever I feel bad, I try to make sure I’m giving a fair amount of attention to all the priorities in my life, like hard work, relationships, health, and also personal happiness.
- Exercise: Engaging in physical activities can do wonders, especially a deep breathing exercise. There are various types of deep breathing exercises. Check through and find the one you like and do it.
- Cultivate Gratitude: Practicing gratitude is great, it does not only work as a mood booster but can also be a major source of healing if you have gone through any major breakout. When you admire the things in your life and become grateful, it makes you like you have everything.
- Go Outside: Whether you are working from home or you just don’t feel like going outside. Go outside and spend some in a nearby park, let fresh air pass. This is very important.
- Cultivate eudaimonic happiness: Gain eudaimonic happiness by doing things that provide meaning and give a sense of striving to be your best self. It can be anything from engaging in art or spending time with loved ones. Every day, invest some time to self-improvement.
- Set Small Goals: Completing a goal, no matter how small, can boost our moods. SO, next time when you feel low, check off to-do lists and work on your goal.
- Indulge in a massage: You will not believe but a message can a solution here. As per different studies, massage increases serotonin levels, especially in pregnant women and infants. Even just rubbing your own shoulders, neck, hands, and temple, you can enhance your mood.
- Focus on what you can control: This a great formula that has always worked for me. Whenever I feel for something or someone hurts me badly, I focus on things that I can control. See, the source of distress can be anything from chronic pain to getting apart from your loved one. But when you acknowledge the loss and look for the things you have and embrace joyful new activities.
- Spend time with a furry friend: It has been proved that spending time with animals lowers the stress hormone – cortisol, and boosts oxytocin – that ultimately stimulates feelings of happiness.
- Engage in Meditation: How to boost mood in a minute, you ask and my answer will surely include meditation. This is my personal experience, mindfulness meditation can increase the activity in the left prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain responsible for calm and happiness. Practising regular meditation can also help you in warding off weight gain, so it’s a win-win!
- Learn to forgive: If someone has hurt you and that is why you are sad, forgive that person even if he or she is not asking for it. As per the study, happy people are more forgiving than unhappy people. So whether you start out happy or not, forgiving someone for a past transgression can make you feel better.
- Let go: Okay, so this is the next after forgiving. I always try to follow this mantra when a person is a reason for my bad mood. Tell yourself, let go whatever the situation and whatever you have gone through. I say it to myself, it has been very liberating and empowering and best answer for How to Boost Mood.
- Go shopping: Shopping can never go out of fashion when it comes to a mood booster. Go grocery shopping for food, or go shopping and get some pair of shoes and tops. Here, I prefer window shipping where I can buy a thing at an affordable rate and also enjoy local food. (This is my personal preference when I go shopping just to boost my mood).
- Visit a bookstore: Being a book lover, nothing can beat visiting my favourite book store. I usually roam until I find 3 books of my interest. Sometimes, if I find a suitable place and read some of the pages there only, hahaha, this is how I boost my mood and one of the best answers on How to Boost Mood.
- Take Things Positively: I understand that when you go through a bad mood, feeling good and think in a positive way is almost like looking for water in a desert. But don’t let you get stuck in an unpleasant situation, take a negative comment or situation differently and look for something positive about it. It helps to look at it from a different angle.
- Hydrate: Have you ever noticed, when you feel nervous I want a glass of water? Staying hydrated directly impacts our mood. So next time when you feel bad and search for how to boost mood, first sip some water, you will feel much better.
- Practice Love and Kindness: Because you are in a bad mood, getting hyper and becoming angry is common. The act of showing kindness to another person can instantly enhance your mood. When you show love and do for others, it increases your own happiness and empathy. Humans are kind in nature and how can you not feel better when you become the reason for someone’s smile?
- Take Off: Looking for how to boost mood? Are you not feeling well? Take off. If you are not well mentally you cannot focus that directly impacts your productivity and work quality. So here it is better to leave your work and take off for one hour, half-day, full-day or a week. Besides, sometimes we just need to take a day to clear our heads and nurture our soul.
Check How To Be Happy: Self Care Tips To Live A Happier Life for maintain a happy life for always.
Bottom line on How to Boost Mood
So these 30 Ways to Feel Better that will help you when you feel down, stressed or just not yourself. Apart from these techniques, there are an infinite amount of easy ways to pick you up. The bottom line is that whatever makes you happy. Trust me, a couple of minutes doing something that makes you happy can significantly alter your mood on a daily basis.